Friday, August 28, 2009

The School for the Work

The School is a nine-day workshop during which Byron Katie attempts to make us die. Die to our story, that is... Our identity, who we think we are... The Work is wonderfully simple and yet the most powerful growth tool I've come across. No dogma, no beliefs, no nothing, the Work is a mirrow to ourselves. How does it work? Take any belief which causes you any level of stress or pain (ex. "My boss doesn't respect me"), and ask the following four questions:
1. Is it true?
2. Can you know absolutely that it's true?
3. How do you react, what happens, when you believe that thought?
4. Who would you be without that belief?
You then turn the thought around in as many ways as possible and find examples for each turnaround. "My boss doesn't respect me" becomes "My boss respects me", "I don't respect my boss" and "I don't respect myself". Find at least three examples of how each turnaround might be true.

The Work is written meditation, and it jostles and loosen things up. All painful emotions are caused by at least one thought. For example if you're angry right now, maybe you're thinking "My dad never listens to me" or something like that. You then do the work on the thought "My dad never listens to me" and see what happens. Wonderfully simple and very powerful!

Something has changed inside me, and I feel confident about dealing with what still needs to change, which is a new feeling for me. I'm questioning everything I've believed was true and realizing all of it is just thought, and not real. Part of me has indeed died at the School, a little bit of my story. It's refreshing to discover who we are without the story. More details at www.thework.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment