Friday, August 28, 2009

Kokanee Glacier Provincial Park

Wow, has it realy been a month since I've written? I'll be adding a few pictures in a minute...

Here is a summary of Buridan's progress since I last wrote:
- total of three weeks in Nelson, BC
- disastrous camping out in Kokanne Glacier Provincial Park
- a week in Victoria visiting many friends there
- nine days in LA doing Byron Katie's School for the Work
- six days in Joshua Tree National Park

The three weeks in Nelson went by very quickly. Some highlights for me were:
- running to Ymir one morning (35 km along an old railway track converted into a trail)
- rediscovering my love for tennis and hanging out with the tennis crew
- hanging out with new friends from the White House Hostel - a fantastic place
- meeting a few of the locals in the yoga/spiritual community

During my last weekend there, I decided to go spend two nights up in Kokanee Glacier Provincial Park. I bought an emergency bivy sack and a blanket, and away I went. The walk up from the highway to the parking lot was long - 16 km - and then 7 more km to Kokanee lake and Garland lake, where I camped. It was beautiful (see pictures at http://picasaweb.google.ca/pbleduc/BuridanSJourney?authkey=Gv1sRgCIyL-ufv__LHdQ#), and since it's spring up there (the snow was still melting in early August), the mosquitoes and black flies feasted on me. Then around 7:45 pm, it started hailing and raining, and thunder and lightning soon followed. I hid under some pine trees and wondered where the hell I'd put my bivy. I froze all night on a miniature, sloped patch of ground under some trees that dripped on the bivy until morning. Useless to say, my two-night expedition became a one-nighter and I scampered back downhill first thing in the morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment