Thursday, July 23, 2009

WWOOF

Willing Workers on Organic Farms. This is an international movement whereby anyone, with any background, can stay with an organic farmer and work 5-6 hours a day in exchange for room and board. The WWOOFing website lists farms in practically every country in the world, and many people find this is a very rewarding way of travelling.

When I was planning my summer a few months ago, I found this place on the East side of Lake Kootenay which hosts WWOOFers. It's called Johnson's Landing Retreat Centre, a peaceful place tucked away on a mountain side in the Purcell Mountains, about 2.5 hours from Nelson. I got there last Thursday, a week ago already, and I was blown away by the beauty of the place. This picture was taken just below the Centre, by the lakeside.
It was the last day of a Buddhist retreat, and so there were several guests. The Centre hosts retreats year-round and people come from all over to attend. Buddhism, yoga, taichi, Tantra, etc. The retreat leaders also come from all over. The Centre is remote, and the owners want to be as independent as possible: grow their own food, produce their own electricity. I found this very inspiring and wanted to help out in the garden, and learn a thing or two about organic gardening. Here is a pic of their garden.
Unfortunately, the work conditions didn't suit me, and I left the next day. I was a little disappointed, but I think it was the best thing to do. I have met many WWOOFers who have had excellent experiences, and I was tempted to look for another farm in the area, but decided I'm enjoying my freedom too much right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment